Friday, March 20, 2015

Springing into our new farmstead!

So Spring is here,..... now the real work begins.

After buying a farm at an auction  last summer and moving in during the first week of November I have had quite  a hard time keeping my head above water.

The house was not move in ready it needs a lot of work.

What we have done over the winter:

1. Paint all 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom.

2. Painted 1/2 the kitchen ( working on that presently) I usually do not like green but I LOVE these green walls and cannot wait to make it look like a Mexican kitchen.
 This makes me happy :)
Still working on the yellow for the other side of the room.

3. Got the new heated floors in and ripped out old heating system in the east wing! ( the house in not a mansion but it is LONG and I joked the first day we moved in about the long hallway with bookshelves and bedrooms being the east wing.)

4. Put down all new wood flooring in the East wing.

5 Had a new well dug.

6. Put in a whole house filtration system

7 Cleaned up lots of debris left all over 15 acres! ( still working on that)
( some near the barn, Garage and back of the house)
8 Unpacked 2/3 of our stuff

9. Ripped out some kitchen cupboards and appliances that were built in.

There is so much that needs to be done, not only are we trying to get the house ready and in a happy livable condition ( the mess and chaos is driving me MAD) but we are trying to get the outbuildings ready for animals and the land ready for planting. We are building a chicken coop to house over 100 laying hens as well. We not only bought a house but we are going to try and make a living at organic, ethical farming.

The mission statement I came up with last night:

Providing happy healthy meat and veggies ( yes our veggies will be happy, lol) because you are what you eat!

 Some of our seeds trays germinating on my kitchen counter.

Okay, yes it sounds weird and will most likely NOT be the actually mission statement but seriously you are what you eat and what your animals eat.

I bought a handful of ducks to try out their eggs. Nature made them cute for a reason  beacause they are dirty, smelly messy creatures! I cannot wait to get them out of my house!

Falcon will is working on a duck house right now.

So friends if you do not see me this summer or I have no time for you, please do not take it personal I am actually BUSY!

At the end of the day, I am blessed. I try not to forget that

No comments: