Monday, April 28, 2014

It's a heat wave!!

It's a heat wave!!

We have had record cold temps in the subzeros here all winter so when it hit 60 degrees 3 days on a row this week I felt that school was not so important and some outside play was. For 3 days the kids played outside for at least 5 hours each day. I sat happily in the house with Canary for the first day and just watched the kids play.

They used their imaginations and played a game called frontier.
They each made their own territories out of materials found in and around the yard
They had a general store
They had rocks they used as currency
They defended their own territories when neighboring people tried to inhabit their area or steal land and supplies
They grew crops, cooked and traded goods
They hunted wild game
They tapped the maple tree in the front yard to get syrup (all pretend)

Robin's territory- she was cooking!
We just finished up the Little House in the Big Woods, so  a lot of their ideas stemmed from that.

On day 3 they made the most creative fort (I didn't get any pictures though) they made a lean to up against the house (that has new vinyl siding)  and wove newspaper, and broken bush limbs between the limbs the packed around it with leaves. I was mad when I saw it and made them immediately take it down because I was afraid they were going scratch up the siding. I really wish I would have taken a picture it was a really creative fort.

Baby canary and I enjoying some sunshine.

Owl bringing  me a twig from our maple tree and saying he found maple syrup in it.

Papabird came home  from his trip out of state and saw the surprise  Falcon  and I  worked on while he was gone.We didn't completely finish the basement because I did too much too soon after baby was born  and had some serious bleeding issues so my midwives grounded me to the couch.


Before

After (almost done, but not finished yet)

The van died again....sigh!

What will we work on next week when he is in South America?

No comments: