Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Praying Mantis and the Bean Stalk

Very busy week. I try to only schedule only 2-3 outside events each week but this week was full.

Monday and Tuesday were great productive days we stayed home all day and got a lot done.

The rest of the week was crazy. It was full of events, errands, doctors appointments and so much more.

The color of the week for my littles is green.
We read Jack and the bean stalk then sprouted our own beans which will be ready for planting this weekend. The worksheets came from Enchanted learning.

This week we tried growing bean plants and not giving one air to see if it would sprout. The experiment came from this book.


We also read Thumbelina

My daughter made these cool pens at her homeschool girl scout troop. It fit nicely to our theme week of green and plants. All they did was take the stem of the fake flower and wrap it with florist tape with the pen. My daughter loves hers and we will be making more very some more next week. These may become holiday gifts for people as well.

My daughter has just started doing school with her babies and stuffed animals. I love that she does this it is great repetition of her daily studies. Here she is teaching her horse and unicorn about the seven continents.


An exciting event in our school week was the visit of a praying mantis I was just closing the shade to put my 2 yr old to sleep when I noticed a praying mantis stuck in-between the glass and the screen. So I yelled "everyone come in here quick we are so lucky" I never thought those words would come out of my mouth when referring to a big bug. I always hated bugs but since my 5 yr old is afraid of bugs now I have to put up a strong front for her. We had a lot of fun looking at it but then I wondered what I would do with it. I didn't want to kill it but I surely didn't want that bug crawling on me or loose in the house. I never thought I would see the day that I would y and save a bugs life instead of killing it. I teach my children not to harm any living thing so I couldn't very well smash the big bug. I was able to get him outside safely when I went out side to make sure it was okay and that dang bug flew right at me after I saved it. I thought it was going to land on my head I was running backwards with this big praying mantis flying just inches in front of my face I finally ducked and it flew over me into a tree. Thank goodness my daughter didn't see me running from the bug I just told her would not hurt her. My daughter was very happy to know that the bug was free to go be a bug and go back to his bug family.





I have a lot of exciting posts lined up for the next 2 weeks so please check back often

Linking up with

4 comments:

Sharla said...

That pen looks like an easy craft that my girls would just love! I agree that it would make a great gift.

I'm not a fan of bugs either, especially big ones. I think you held up very well!!!

Sharla
http://thechaosandtheclutter.com

Anonymous said...

Right there with you on the bugs. I hate them but I am trying to be tough for my duaghter too. We even started catching a few. Thankfully, I have boys who love them.
Becca

Little Badgers Academy said...

Not a bug person here either, though with 3 boys... Love the picture of the praying mantis, so cool!

Unknown said...

we actually have now ended up with several scorpions (don't ask) for pets! love the flower pens- I need some girlie around here!!!